Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Why Some Dolls are Bad



I found this exhibit on Furtherfield.org. Why Some Dolls are Bad is a graphic novel that has been generated on a Facebook platform. Internet artist, Kate Armstrong, arranges a stream of images off of Flickr. Armstrong then attaches each with a certain tag as well as her own original text. This produces an ever-changing dialogue. Users who subscribe to Facebook can order the pictures. It is then up to each individual whether they want to reorder the sequence, delete certain pictures, save them or send them to a friend. As a result, every story is going to differ from the next. Dolls explores themes of fashion, ethics, “artifice and the self”. The novel also reexamines government systems as well as materials like mohair and household plants.

Originally, I do not find the individual images to be interesting. They seem like thoughtless snapshots that did not even make the cut to be in the family album. I suppose with the text, the pictures become a bit more inviting, but for me the whole project falls a little short. Despite this, I do think the concept is an interesting one. I think the execution left a bit to be desired. I would of liked to see more interesting photos with a much more provocative dialogue. I think this could really stir up some interesting conversations between the members of Facebook. I do enjoy the comic book look of the inserted text boxes. Unfortunately, the actual text just seems like an afterthought. All this being said, I think Armstrong was trying to keep the exhibit light and fun. The images paired with the text are meant to amuse the viewer. 

No comments: